When soil is dry, signs that foundation watering is needed become quite evident. This is particularly true in North Texas cities, where clays soils severely impact homes. Lack of moisture around a slab foundation can lead to the need for foundation repair.
7 Signs Foundation Watering Is Needed
In areas such as Dallas, Fort Worth and Arlington, some of the many indications that water is needed around a foundation include:
- Cracks in the soil around the foundation. This means that the ground is very dry and moisture should be added.
- Soil separating from your slab foundation. If you see gaps between the dirt and your house foundation, it is definitely a sign that you need to water your foundation.
- A distressed yard or wilting plants. Don’t let your yard dry out and go to rack and ruin. Not only will your landscape appear unsightly, but it can also cause expensive damage that will necessitate foundation repair. It’s imperative that you maintain your landscaping and apply moisture to all areas around your foundation, particularly in the summer months. A yard that looks like it’s been burned up by the sun is a sure sign that you’re not giving your property (and your foundation) sufficient moisture.
- Cracks in your brick exterior. Because foundation movement occurs when the area around a house foundation becomes parched and contracts, this can lead to cracking in your brick exterior (as well as interior walls).
- Fractures in frieze boards. Fact is, fissures can appear in all different parts of your home. Insufficient water around the perimeter of your foundation may be the culprit. Signs like this are particularly apparent when it’s hot outside.
- Separation in those areas where the window frame meets the brick veneer on your house. If you notice gaps, take action. Invest in a soaker hose or sprinkler system.
- Tightness at the top of doors and windows, making them difficult to close. This is often due to a lack of moisture in the ground around your foundation.
Over a period of time, neglecting to water your foundation will result in severe structural foundation damage. Fixing a house that has been neglected is not inexpensive, so it’s wise to take steps to protect your valuable property.
How To Water Slab Foundations:
The best way to ensure that your slab is getting sufficient moisture is to install a soaker hose around your foundation, or else make use of a sprinkler system. In the summer, be sure to turn these systems on every day for 15-20 minutes. Because you don’t want the area under your slab to become excessively wet, place the soaker hose about 18-20” away from your foundation.
If you discover that you need foundation repair, contact HD Foundations. We’ll be happy to stop by and provide you with a free repair estimate.