With leaning chimneys, foundation repair is often required is straighten them up. A chimney that is leaning is not just a sign of a well-used fireplace. It could indicate floor buckling, sagging or other foundation issues.
Facts About Leaning Chimneys, Foundation Repair And More:
While a leaning chimney is unattractive, there are some real dangers to be wary of when faced with yours is tilting or sloping. These include:
- Exposed cracks in chimneys can allow rodents and bugs to more easily enter your home
- Water damage can occur as rain can seep in
- An improperly insulated chimney can cause smoke to be retained indoors. Foundation repair can resolve this issue.
- A structurally-unsound chimney can have loose bricks or other materials that could fall and cause damage
What Causes a Chimney to Lean?
Typically, chimneys rely on their own separate foundation to support their extra weight on top of your home’s foundation. A chimney can lean for a variety of reasons relating specifically to its construction, such as brackets that have become loose over time, issues with the chimney’s footing, or simply wear and tear over the years.
However, a larger issue could be the cause – your home’s foundation. If this is the cause, you will need to act fast and get your foundation repaired quickly in order to avoid larger and more costly issues in the future. The leaning chimney may only be one sign of many in terms of foundation damage.
Other Signs That Foundation Repairs Are Needed:
In addition to a leaning chimney, there are other indications of trouble. You should immediately contact a trusted foundation repair company in the DFW metroplex to perform a foundation evaluation if you notice:
- Vertical cracks along the exterior brick
- Stuck doors or windows (that no longer close completely)
- Dips in floors in particular areas of the home
- Cracks along interior walls and/or ceilings
They can determine whether the issues you’re seeing are nothing to worry about (such as the result of a settling house) or cause for foundation repair. You should never attempt a DIY foundation repair job or simply rely on your knowledge to determine whether foundation repair is needed or not. It is always a good idea to utilize a local foundation repair company if you have a leaning chimney. Get a free foundation evaluation to determine your chimney is not vertical.
HD Foundations has repaired over 2,700 foundations for residents in cities across the DFW metroplex like Plano, Arlington, Dallas, Grand Prairie and more. We can provide professional recommendations and professional foundation repair results.